- the passing down of elements of a culture from generation to generation, especially by oral communication.
- a mode of thought or behavior followed by a people continuously from generation to generation; a custom or usage.
- a time-honored practice or set of such practices.
- the handing down of statements, beliefs, legends, customs, information, etc., from generation to generation, esp. by word of mouth or by practice
- a long-established or inherited way of thinking or acting: The rebellious students wanted to break with tradition.
Why I think traditions important
provide a sense of security, even when times are rough or uncertain, traditions carry on
provide a sense of belonging, things done together bring you closer
provide a sense of identity, being a part of a family
provides lasting memories
allows parents to impart values
Traditions are a bit new to me, not that we didn't have them growing up-I just didn't see them that way. We did have some-opening presents Christmas Eve, visiting with family on Christmas Day, I ALWAYS had an easter basket of some kind-even as a college student, and I'm sure more than aren't coming to mind right now.
As a relatively new mom (2 years is still new ;}), I am trying to start meaningful traditions for our family. Some things we have started
-new matching pjs for Christmas Eve-this year I will attempt to sew pj pants myself
-new Christmas ornament for R every year-one that has a special meaning-saved for her when she has a family of her own
-picture of us hanging the ornament on the tree
-Christmas Day at OUR home
-birthday presents for R wrapped in plain paper with words that describe her written onn them
-Friday nights are "kid" food night-pizza, burgers, hot dogs, etc
-one TV free night per week (still working on this one), will later be a game night too
-reading to R every day, will hopefully progress to her reading to me-I know this one won't last forever but I can drag it out as long as possible
Things I would like to implement:
-weekly trip to library
-special birthday meal
-picking fruit at a farm every year
-yearly picture of R on her birthday and 1st day of school(or hopefully homeschool) and New Years (or hopefully homeschool) in front of house
-monthly picnic-inside if need be according to the weather
-and so many more!!
Happy memory making!
23 hours ago